It’s that time of year again. A time where millions of schoolchildren get ready for the new school year and email marketers brush up on their back to school subject lines.
Why do smart marketers spend so much time on subject lines?
Because a third of your email list will decide whether to open your email based on its subject line alone. And when it comes to your email marketing, you’ll want to make sure you’re achieving decent open rates.
Especially with your back to school email campaigns.
The National Retail Federation’s annual report shows that back to school spending exceeds $80 billion in the United States alone. This places the sales period in second behind the Black Friday/Cyber Monday weekend and ahead of other sales events like Valentine’s Day and Mother’s Day.
Digital marketers will also be happy to hear that over half of back to school sales are expected to be made online.
So to give your store the best chance of getting as many sales as possible, we’ve compiled this list of 100 A+ back to school email subject lines. Feel free to use them or as inspiration for your own to boost your open rates.
General Back to School Email Subject Lines
- Head Back to School in Style
- It’s That Time of Year Again: Getting Ready for School
- Your One Stop School Shop
- Get Ready for the Back to School Season
- Ready for School?
- School is Just Around the Corner!
- Heading back to school?
- All the Back to School Supplies You Need
- The Latest Gadgets for Back to School
- Not Ready for the New School Year Yet?
- Get Ready to be Schooled
- All the MUST HAVES for the New School Year
- A Fresh Start to School
- Back to School Essentials
- School Time = Play Time
- Be the Best in Class
- Your Number One Back to School Shop
- It’s Time to Rule the Playground
- What’s on your Back to School Checklist?
- Raise Your Hand if You’re Ready for Back to School
- Back to School Survival Guide
- Get The Kids Ready for the New School Year
- Heading Back to School in 2019
- Be Back to School Cool
- Don’t Miss the School Bell
- Jump Back Into School In Style
- A Healthy Fresh Start to School Lunchboxes
- Our Back to School Shop is Open
- Get Ready for the New School Season
- Time to Get Back Into School Spirit
- Top Looks for Back to School
- Checkout our Back to School Shop
- Do School Old School
- Fall Into A Fresh Start To School
- Going Back to School This Year?
- Back to School 101
- Your Back to School Playlist
- Our Top Study Tips for Back to School
- The Perfect Stationery for School
- It’s Time for School
Back to College Subject Lines
Back to school campaigns tend to focus on elementary through to high school students. Despite the fact that more money is spent every year on back to college purchases than on back to school purchases. Smart digital marketers know not to ignore this prime demographic.
- Everything a College Fresher Needs
- Personalize Your Dorm Room
- Moving to College?
- Our College Survival Guide
- Back to College Sales
- The Best Deals on Textbooks
- Refresher for a Fresher!
- Must Haves for the New Semester
- Make This Semester Yours
- Your College Checklist
Back to School Subject Lines Mentioning Free Shipping
- Limited Time Only: FREE SHIPPING on Back to School Items
- Back to School Savings + Free Shipping = A+ Deals
- Free Shipping for the Back to School Season
- Get Your School Supplies Shipped for Free
- Last Minute Back to School Shopping? Get Fast Free Shipping!
- Get Psyched for School with Free Shipping!
- Our Back to School Deals Ship for Free
- Save Money on Back to School with Free Shipping
- With free overnight shipping, there’s no reason to be late for class
- Make Back to School More Tolerable with Free Shipping
Back to School Sale Subject Lines
- Our Back to School Sales Starts Now
- Head Back to School in Style with these Deals
- Back to School Savings have Landed
- Massive Savings Throughout Our Back to School Shop
- Exclusive Back to School Deals
- 20% off for the new school year!
- 25% to 50% Off Storewide: Our Back to School Sales Spectacular!
- Be Best In Class with These Savings
- A+ Savings on School Supplies
- Back to School Steals!
- Don’t Miss the Bus on these Deals!
- Last Chance for Back to School Savings!
- Your Exclusive Discounts for the New School Year
- 30% Off All School Shoes
- Hit the Books with these Savings
- $10 Off Your First Back-to-School Order
- Your Back to School Savings Cheat Sheet
- Bell’s About to Ring on these Back to School Discounts!
- Best in Class: Our New School Year Offers
- Save on a Fresh Start to School
Back to School Email Subject Lines with Emojis
- It’s Back to School Time 📝🍎🎒
- Pack Your School Bag with These Savings 💰🎒
- 🏫 It’s that Time of Year Again…
- 👩🏫 Teacher Savings For The New School Season 👨🏫
- Heading To College This Year? 🎓
- ✅ Your Back to School Checklist
- 📝Get Ready For Back to School
- Don’t Miss The Bus 🚌
- 🎒👟Back to School In Style 👟🎒
- Time to Dust Off That Schoolbag 🎒
- Be Back To School Cool 😎
- Back to School Time 🍎
- 🍁= Back to School 🚌🍎
- Ace the New School Year 🎓
- Prepare for Back to School 🍎
Back to School Subject Lines for Teachers
Just as you shouldn’t forget about college students, keep teachers in mind. All too often teachers end up having to pay for school supplies and equipment out of their own pocket.
- Bulk Discounts on Back to School
- Get Your Classroom Ready with these School Supplies
- Save On Back-to-School Supplies
- FREE Lesson Plans for the New School Year
- 5 Things Every Teacher Needs for Back to School
Sign-up to our newsletter and receive a free Calendar with all the most important key eCommerce dates that you shouldn’t miss in 2023
Writing Your Email Subject Lines
Now that you have plenty of inspiration and options, it’s time to go about choosing your back to school email subject lines.
If you’re still unsure about coming up with a good email subject line, check out our guide on writing the best subject lines for email marketing.
If you have the opposite problem and you can’t choose between multiple subject options, then consider A/B testing them. We also have a handy guide to A/B testing subject lines you can have a read through.
Of course, you’ll also want to ensure the rest of the email is as great as its subject line. If you’re unsure about the how to design your email, we have a collection of 10 great back to school emails for you to check out.