Halloween is almost upon us and that means it’s time to start crafting your Halloween email campaigns.
While Halloween to most people is all about trick or treating, parties, and copious amounts of candy, merchants have another reason to be celebrating Halloween: Sales.
Halloween sales have been increasing year-on-year with the total amount spent by consumers now approaching $10 billion in the United States alone. This translates to approximately $82 spent by the average American adult.
So it’s not hard to see why merchants are offering Halloween deals to their customers to capture a slice of this pie. And given that email is the most effective marketing channel, it’s not hard to see why merchants turn to it.
However, no email marketing campaign is complete without a captivating subject line.
So with your subject line having such a large impact on your open rates, we’ve curated this list of over 50 great Halloween email subject lines.
General Halloween subject lines
To start off, these are good multipurpose subject lines that you can take inspiration from. Generally what makes these stand out is how they incorporate an aspect of Halloween in the subject line copy.
Some of them take things a step further by turning their subject line into a question which can be good for engagement and boost open rates.
In general though, you’ll notice that most of these examples are short and sweet (you want to avoid your own subject lines from being too long) and it’s obvious that they’re for Halloween holiday-themed emails.
- Have a Fang-tastic Halloween – MeUndies
- The best treat of Halloween – Motel 6
- Boo! The Halloween Shop is Live – Boomdash
- Be the Ring Leader this Halloween! – wet n wild
- What are we going as tonight? – Velour Lashes
- You are cordially uninvited to the Halloween party – Fenty Beauty
- Trick-Or-Treat Yourself – Paravel
- This is not a trick… – Annie Selke
- In the spirit of Halloween. – Rothy’s
- 3 Scary-Good Bags To Buy Now – Coach
- Check Out These Bone Chilling Discounts! – PetFlow
- Trick-or-Treat? – Joybird
- From Our Ghouls to Yours – Sugarfina
- BOO! – LOFT
- Scary-Good Deals. Creep it real. – Rue La La
- Trick and/or Treat? – COMRAD
- Auto-Delivery | The Coffee You Want. When You Want It. No Tricks. – Keurig
- Trick or… – Subway
- Our Kind of Halloween Mask – Bobbi Brown
- Delicious Treats, No Spooky Ingredients. – Chobani
Subject lines with Halloween emojis
Including an emoji or two in your subject line is a popular tactic among email marketers to make their emails stand out in people’s inboxes.
While this strategy can obviously be used for anything type of email, when it comes to Halloween the most popular emojis are the Jack-o’-lantern (🎃) and ghost (👻).
ReturnPath actually did a study on the effects of various emojis on email engagement and found that while the spider (🕷) and cobweb (🕸) emojis are also popular choices, they resulted in very high compliant rates and deletions before reading.
That’s why we haven’t included them on this list.
While they aren’t popular choices, the same study found that the chocolate (🍫) and moon (🌕) emojis resulted in the best email engagement in terms of open rate.
- 🎃 Pumpkin spice up your week with our Fall SALE! – Pottery Barn Kids
- 💋 Get Vamped Up for Halloween! 🧛🏻♀️ – Memebox
- Halloween Masks are Here! 🎃 Protect Your Ghoul Gang 👻 — Shop Now! – Case-Mate
- BOO 👻 Mickey Mouse and Friends Scare Up Fun for a Glowing Disney Halloween – The Bradford Exchange
- 👻 Boo! We’ve resurrected our Halloween mystery deal! – Home Chef
- 🎃 This is Halloween 🎃 – Wanderer Bracelets
- 👻Pre Halloween 2 day flash sale! 🎃😬 – Karity
- 💖 A SWEET fix for the Sunday Scaries – Sugarfina
- Make this Halloween Boo-tiful with KAY 💎👻 – Kay Jewelers
- 🎃 Scary Savings! Get Ready for… HALLOWEEN – Savings.com
- 🎃 Frightful 👻 delightful 🏚️ decor 💀 for Halloween – Sears
- Kawaii Halloween! No Tricks… Only Treats! 🎃😍 – Blippo Kawaii Shop
- October is Here! 👻 See these Spooky Savings for Halloween. – Old Time Pottery
- What? Halloween already? 🎃 – 365Games
- Happy Halloween! No tricks, only treats. 🎃 – MishiBox
- Happy Halloween! 🎃 – SwipeStox
- 🎃 👻 🥗 No tricks! Only treats! Enjoy DOUBLE points on all purchases today, 10/31! – Salad Works
- 👻 TODAY ONLY! Play the Trick-or-Treat game … if you dare 👻 – Sears
- Halloween costume = Free tea 👻 – David’s Tea
For more emoji usage tips, check out our guide on using emojis in subject lines here.
Subject lines mentioning a sale or offer
Many stores that are holding a Halloween sale will go right ahead and mention the offer in their email’s subject line.
If your offer is compelling enough this will help with getting customers to open your campaign.
- Just for you! 🎃 Halloween Sale! 30% OFF storewide👻 – Gorgeous Cosmetics
- Freaky savings this Halloween – Save $300 – Puffy
- All Treats, No Tricks! 30% Off All Halloween Balms! – Lip Smacker
- ⚡ Halloween Flash Sale ⚡ We’ve Switched Up Your Coupon! Get $30 off Now! – Overstock
- 🎃 👻 15% OFF EVERYTHING ends midnight! – Attitude Clothing
- [Halloween Flash Sale] – FREE Domestic Shipping offer! – Nine Line Apparel
- BOO! Scary Savings Alert – Get 25% off your entire order! – Naturasil
- 🎃 HAPPY HALLOWEEN | Get an exclusive 10% discount on your favorite styles – only for 24h!🎃 – Kapten & Son
- No Tricks, Just Treats! Extra 31% Off Today Only – Effy Jewelry
- Happy Halloween! 🎃 Take 50% off your first box – Home Chef
- Happy Halloween! 30% off all shirts ends today – MANGO
- 🎃 Your Halloween Treat 🎃 FREE SHIPPING (ends tomorrow!) – Pottery Barn
- Ends Today! 20% Off Kids For The Spooky Season – Hunter Boot
Last chance final reminders
If you’ve read our article on the best Halloween emails, you’ll know that we recommend sending more than one email as part of your Halloween campaign.
You’ll also know that a good idea for the final email in your campaign is a ‘last chance’ or ‘final reminder’ style email that compels your customers to take action before it’s too late.
These are subject lines from that style of last-minute Halloween email.
- Halloween Treats: Disappearing in 6 Hrs 🕧 – Angara
- Our Halloween designs are quickly vanishing 👻 – Lovepop
- ☠️ Beware: Halloween Sale Ends Today ☠️ – Maniology
- No Tricks, only hours left to get this treat! – Weight Watchers
- LAST CHANCE before the Halloween Collection disappears! – Wanderer Bracelets
- You’ve Got 2 More Days To Treat Yo Self – Road Runner Sports
- Last chance: It’s Time For Half Price Halloween – Busuu
The rest of your email campaign
By now you should have plenty of ideas for potential subject lines to use with your Halloween campaign.
You might even have multiple ideas that you want to try.
Luckily, SmartrMail has A/B testing tools which make trying out multiple subject lines easy. You can start A/B testing emails you send with SmartrMail right now by starting a 15-day free trial.
If you find yourself wanting more help with writing subject lines, we’ve also got a detailed guide that includes email marketing tips on using call-to-actions, subject line length, and more.
And if you haven’t created your email yet, we’ve got a collection of Halloween email campaigns that will help inspire your own email design.
Best of luck with your email campaign!