Upselling is an essential technique that every ecommerce store should implement.
It is an approach where you offer additional products other than what the customer originally purchased to generate more sales. Usually, this item is frequently bought with the first product or is offered at a lower price.
You have to use this because many customers don’t realize they can buy more than they originally intended to buy. If someone bought a hamburger, you might want to upsell with fries or a drink.
This offer is often done in the fast-food chain where customers interact directly with the counter staff.
But how do you do this online?
In this article, I’ve selected the best Shopify upsell apps for your store so you can start selling more and gaining more revenue.
Let’s get started!
- Social proof by Avada
- Frequently Bought Together
- ReConvert Upsell & Cross Sell
- Bold Upsell ‑ Upsell Smarter
- Free Shipping Bar by Avada
- SMART Bundle Upsell
- Cross Sell Recommend Products
- Sales Rocket
Social proof is one of the best motivating factors behind customers’ decisions. When buyers notice that other visitors are purchasing, it creates a sense of trust to buy the goods. This trust will make visitors more likely to buy more when they are considering buying a product. With Social Proof – Photo Reviews by Avada, you can display sales pop-ups that allow visitors to receive notifications from other customers’ real-time activities.
Imagine this: your customer is buying a product, then a little notification pops up and shows that other buyers are purchasing another relevant product, this can increase the chance for the customer to add another product into their carts – Successful upsell!
- Various notifications types like for recent purchase, add-to-cart, stock left, review, sign up, and more
- Time schedule ability to specify notifications display time
- Advanced visitors targeting based on page, position, product, and geographic location
- Flexible and customizable design
- Collect and display review photos in notifications
- Fully responsive with all devices
- Advanced analytics
- Droplet: Free
- Pond: $9/month
- Lake: $9/month (discount from $29/month as support of the pandemic)
PickyStroy is an upselling & cross-selling app for Shopify that enables merchants to generate more revenue from every customer by adding deals anywhere in their store.
PickyStory comes with a whole host of benefits and seemingly endless upselling potential. One of this app’s best features is its diverse range of upsell bundles and other deals that can be displayed on any page in your store.
PickyStory’s Combo Product feature gives merchants the power to create an aggregate of products to sell as one, while the Bundle Builder deal allows customers to pick and choose their own products in a mix-and-match format.
What’s more, PickyStory auto-syncs your inventory at SKU level (yes, even for bundle deals), and all deals can be created with clicks (no coding knowledge required). Their customer support team is second-to-none and offers above-and-beyond assistance whenever it’s needed.
- Create and display deals on any page in your store
- Auto-sync your inventory at SKU level for all deals
- Add optional discounts to any deal
- Customize your deals to integrate seamlessly into your store
- Start: For merchants who sell on a small scale; $19.50/month
- Pro: For merchants scaling their business; $34.50/month
- Expert: For merchants selling in multiple locations and currencies; $99.50/month
- (All plans are free for the first 14 days.)
Frequently Bought Together
If you have ever purchased online, you will often see at the bottom of each product a section that tells what other customers frequently buy with that item. This increases the chance of buyers checking out more products and increases their cart sizes. With the Frequently Bought Together app, you can do just that.
The app also integrates with AI so you can have personalized recommendations for each customer. It is estimated to have generated more than $1 billion for more than 150,000 Shopify merchants.
- Showing bundles of frequently bought together products to upsell
- One-click to add featured products into the shopping cart
- Fully customizable user interface
- Multiple recommendation algorithms
- 30-day free trial
Recom.ai – Upsell & Cross-sell
Upselling and cross-selling are considered the most effective tactics for boosting average order value and increasing sales. But powered by AI technology, Recom.ai goes beyond traditional product suggestions. And, along with unlimited upsell and cross-sell options, it offers automatic real-time product recommendations based on specific customer preferences. The app gamifies classic suggestions with its Scout feature, letting customers like or dislike items right in the widget, and immediately adjusts products’ offer accordingly.
Recom.ai also offers a built-in library with predesigned widgets matching popular store themes to let you launch upselling or cross-selling campaigns without any design skills. The app shows recommendations on any store page to follow customers along the sales funnel and helps track goal completion with the in-house analytics tool. In addition, Recom.ai can boast intuitive navigation and responsive design.
- Amazon-like Scout feature for instant product recommendations;
- Ready-made cross-sell widgets based on items frequently bought together, top sellers, new arrivals, similar look, trending now, related products, you may also like, more expensive items, and many others;
- Flexible product relations and highly configurable display conditions;
- Possibility to show recommendations on home, product, collection, shopping cart, checkout, and “thank you” pages;
- Handy formats: sliders, popups, static blocks;
- Comprehensive analytics dashboard.
- 7-day free trial
- $19/month plus 2.9% from sales generated with the app
With over 1000 reviews so far, Bold Upsell is one of the most popular tools in this category. It is an original upsell app for Shopify, in addition to being named one of the top 5 apps for Shopify online stores. The app helps setting up unique selling offers for customers by combining general preferences and data mining algorithms.
The app collects relevant sales data, analyzes customer behavior, then automates the entire upsell or cross-sell process accordingly. You can create strategic upsell sequences based on cart value or specific products.
- Offer up to three upsells one after another
- Create different offers based on initial purchases or products
- Offer different products to upsell according to product categories or pricing
- Integrate with other Shopify apps so you can offer the upsell during the checkout
- Access data-backed upsell recommendations based on customers activity
- 14-day free trial
- Starter: $9.99/month – 200 upsell views per month
- Plus: $19.99/month – 1000 upsell views per month
- Premium: $39.99/month – 2000 upsell views per month
- Pro: $59.99/month – 5000 upsell views per month
Free Shipping Bar by Avada
Product offer is not the only way to upsell for Shopify store owners. You can also motivate customers to expand their carts to avoid shipping costs by using Free Shipping Bar by Avada. Simply explained, it is a message that announces buyers about free shipping offers and how much money they need to use to have free shipping.
A simple message like this during the whole shopping process can reduce cart abandonment as well, since many abandoned carts due to unexpected shipping cost at the checkout step. Depending on the cart total, Free Shipping Bar can change the message accordingly for each customer.
- Unlimited bars with progressive messages.
- Ready-to-use presets and customization options
- Smart targeting for countries, devices, and page
- Emoji support to make the bar more popping
- Integratable with many other apps
SMART Bundle Upsell
SMART Bundle Upsell is optimized quite for two main approaches. The first one is exactly what the name implies – selling more through bundles. This is where the “smart” technology comes in. Through data analysis, it identifies specific items that different customer groups are typically interested in. Both similar and complementary products.
The second strategy is having incentives or discounts so customers can increase their carts with more products. The app helps create a need for buyers since products offered are directly related to their purchase.
- Create bundle on specific products
- Upsell or cross-sell related to what customers have in carts
- Rewards buyers if they spend more with automated discount and incentives
- 7-day free trial
Cross Sell Recommend Products
Cross-sell encourages customers to add more items to their carts by recommending related products alongside each product in the stores. The Cross Sell Recommended Products gives you control on what related items to show and increase average order cart value for more profits.
- Show cross-sell products on specific product and cart page
- Create pop-ups for recommended products
- Show products related to cart items in the checkout page
- 14-day free trial
Last but not least, Sales Rocket is an ultimate many-in-one app that has 40+ apps to optimize your Shopify store. The app is designed to speed up your store and help increase revenue by features like conversion boosters, lead generators, and, of course, upsell ability. You can upsell by using related products on the product page, or in-cart pages during checkout.
- 40+ apps in one
- Apps for cart abandonment, leads capturing, conversion boosters, and more.
- Integrated with Instagram, Facebook, and Mailchimp
- 7-day free trial
- Basic: $9.92/month for stores on Basic Shopify plan
- Shopify: $14.92/month for stores on Shopify plan
- Advanced: $19.92/month for stores on Advanced Shopify plan
- Plus: $24.92/month for stores on Shopify Plus plan
That is my list for the best Shopify upsell apps that you need to check out for your online store. Before you decide on which app to use, I recommend you first think about which upsell and cross-sell strategies you want to approach. Then, check your budget on the app to see if you want a free or reasonably priced paid app.
If you have any other suggestions, leave them in the comments section. Best of luck on finding your perfect Shopify upsell apps!
Chance is a marketing specialist at Avada Commerce – a fast-growing eCommerce solution provider, whose goal is to never write a boring article. His enthusiasm for online business has spanned over two years, accompanying his articles with in-depth knowledge about eCommerce. He also enjoys drinking tea and playing Exploding Kittens in his free time.